Wednesday, December 28, 2016

The Last 3 Years

I have always loved the blog thing and I am sad that I gave it up a while back only because life got too busy.  3 years ago we started the search for a bigger house.  We wanted some land (just like everybody else) but around here it isn't all that easy to come by.  If you buy a place with land for the kids to run the house tends to either be huge and out of price range or not so good and not big enough.  We settled for a home with much needed 5 bedrooms in a nice neighborhood not far away from where we lived before.  Still in Redmond, still in the same ward as well.  Kids didn't need to adjust to anything different really.

That summer Brandon was invited to his first "All Star Little League Tournament".  We went to Hermiston, OR and it was really fun.  We established raltionships with many other families.  Since that time both Brandon and Tyler did the same tournament a year later in  2015 in the Dalles, OR.  This last summer 2016 Brandon did his 3rd one and will do another in 2017.  The three older boys participated in Marc Horner's new baseball travel program called Sunwest.  It has been a good experience and verry time consuming but we love sports espeically baseball so it's great.

We also went to Disneyland March 2015, 9 months after the move in.  We also went to San Diego, the kids had a great time.  We were able to fly there on my dads miles (bless him).  We had fun trying out surfing and boogie boarding.  Our next big trip will  be next Christmas December 2017 we have a Caribbean Cruise planned.  The boys are now 14,12,9 and 5.  Tyler is full grown mostly and in 8th grade.  Middle school is an interesting time.  We live in an age of smart phones and the kids tend to be pretty interconnected through wireless a lot of the time.  This produces definite challenges.  Parenting has become much more complicated and confusing.  We are doing our best to keep up but it is not easy.  We still have our faith and attend church regularly and we feel this helps with daily challenges.  We read our scriptures as a family as often as we can and pray together.  Teaching children to share your belief and conviction and understand the importance of recognizing right from wrong is so difficult.  My faith runs thin at times on certain days.  Other days I feel better.  Anyway, both older boys are in middle school now.

Ethan is in 4th grade and does well.  He has had some great teachers lately.  Jace is in Kindergarten and is doing pretty well.  He has learned some lessons this year about not hitting and pushing!

Since last year in Oct. 2015 Brian Platte asked if I had known of anyone looking for part time work at his shop as a picture framer.  Well, I decided to try it out and I have been there about 15 hours a week and I like it.  I am still making my signs which is so nice to be able to make a little extra cash and still be at home working.  It has been 9 years since I started that.  I thought I would quit a few years back but it has blossomed in some ways.  The work is fairly steady and I enjoy doing it.  I am not sure I make much money doing it but I make people happy and I like that so I guess it's worth it. I am still teaching classes mostly yoga pilates a class called Balance and Core.  I sub for powercut and kickbox and dance sometimes as well.  I am so happy that I have made exercise a usualy part of most days.  I feel like I have been able to stay fairly fit despite the stress of each day.  I love to live by the canyon now and run with our little dog Jax :)  when I can get out.  Right now it's icy and cold but in the summer and warmer months it's great.  I did do a huge 20 miler at the coast in Oct. 2014 which was insane.  It was fun because I went with fun friends but it was grueling.  I suppose I would do it again but honestly after about 45 minute running at a time I am good.  I liked the hood to coast.  3 different runs spaced out was good,  training for a longer one like that was time consuming for sure.

 Brian's job has been good.  Always has it's challenges but overall has been good.  He is part of the executive team in Bend, they now have branches in Portland and Pendleton.  He oversees Project Managers as well as helps to plan for the company.  He does plenty of presenting to get the work.  Lots and lots of meetings.  Speaking of meetings, this last November he was called to the bishopric as 1st counselor to Micheal Allen with Jacob Young as 2nd counselor.

We just finished up with Christmas, it was fun.  The older two received snowboards and they are excited.  The younger two mostly got legos.  Ethan got a mini trampoline which he loves and Jace got something called a Zoomer Chimp that listens to commands, makes sounds and performs tricks.  It's pretty cute.  In years past Santa (or should I say Mrs. Clause) has gotten pretty stressed about trying to make each Christmas so wonderful and special for each child.  I feel like I conquered this year!  I didn't stress too much (definitely some though) and I was able to shop pretty good deals and they were all very happy and grateful.  I have nice boys.

I hope they can choose righteousness. That's all I can say.  It's crazy when we were growing up we thought it was difficult.....no comparison.  These guys are up against so much.  It is so hard to keep them safe.  It is so hard not to be consumed by stress and worry.  I have to make a conscious effort not to.  I know that 4 is plenty for me.  It is challenging to have a moody teen and young kids.  They are very different and don't relate all that well sometimes.

The only big thing I think I forgot about is in July 2014 and 2016 we went to Lake Cascade in Idaho by McCall and had the Thompson reunion with boats on a cute little beach.  It is lots of fun.  There are A LOT of little kids tho I will say and it can be a little crazy.  However, great memories for the kids I hope.

In 2017 we look forward to beginning yet another season of baseball.  I serve on the little league board as secretary.  Brain helped install score boards last year.  We have many friends here in Redmond both through church, work and sports that we will always cherish.  There are such great people here, we really like it.  Well maybe I will remember to write each week?  Hopefully at least once a month.

I know that I used to try and remember to write the funny things that the kids had said.  I don't know if I ever wrote this one but we have had several big snow storms here in the last three years.  Well in 2013 I think it was which would have made Ethan age 6, he exclaimed how deep the snow had been "up to my knee clamps!"  It was soo funny.  Lately Brandon, Ethan and Jace have been playing monopoly and Jace calls it "Bonocoly".  He is quite the little pistol.  Fun to have around but a little loud and crazy!

Right now we have our cousin Parker on a mission in Singapore and our close friend Shae in Brazil and Brady in Africa.  It is exciting to hear from them and read their letters and see their pictures.  I have always loved reading missionary mail.  I can't believe John and Cathryn are back 5 yrs and already have two kids!  Time really does fly.  We only have 4.5 more years with Tyler :(  I can't believe that.  I must stop writing for a bit so I can go enjoy him right?  Watch him be on snap chat, play video games....no today was nice.  We went to Bend and found him some nice bindings for his snow board that we got for almost nothing so it all balances out I suppose.  I am excited that they like snowboarding.  I loved going skiing at their age and I was so grateful that my older brothers would take me so that I could learn to get better.  By college I was pretty decent and now I still got it :) Even at almsot 40!

  Last week we took them all up to hoodoo and Jace skied for the first time and and did pretty well!  He only threw his poles twice! We will call that a win.  Ethan snowboarded for his 3rd time I believe and did great.  We plan to go again this Friday.  Brandon is sick today with a bad fever so hopefully he can get better soon.  He had a fun sleepover the other night with Nathan Wachs, Tanner Jones and Jace Nagler.  He has cute friends.  Tyler is here with Kole Davis he is staying a few days while his parents are out of town.  He is a nice boy.  Ethan has great friends as well.  Keiger Young, Wyatt Bigelow, Ukiah Monson and many others.  I am hopeful that they can all understand come to recognize the importance and power of good friends and influences.       





No comments: